Compost Journaling Workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
“The one thing you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only as you can.” - Neil Gaiman
Learn simple techniques to develop a daily creative writing and art practice that you don’t need motivation to pursue. Work with your natural meditative and intuitive rhythms to cultivate a journaling practice that synthesizes disparate information, follows curiosity, and listens to the higher self through writing and drawing.
Like a traditional compost heap, writings, musings, and drawings in a daily journal can seem disjointed or messy. Yet also like a compost heap, they are ripe to become the fertilizer of new ideas. Learn simple tools and processes to tap into the higher self, subconscious, and draw living creative material from raw idea dumps.
Compost journaling is a process used by local Austin illustrator Becca Borrelli in her personal and professional practice. She began working with compost journaling two years ago, and enjoyed two of the most reflective, productive and meaningful years of her life. It is the most requested course she teaches in her own creative network The HeART School: A Community of Heart Focused Artists and Classes.
Join Becca IN PERSON at Shuniya Yoga Collective or ONLINE via Zoom for this creative evening to include:
- Process based workshop on cultivating an art journal
- Share your visions, ideas and creations with other makers
- Exclusive access to Becca’s private virtual art community: The HeART School.
What it’s NOT:
- A step-by-step tutorial on art journaling
- Product focused. You might end up with beautiful work, but it won’t be the objective. The objective is to reflect on our inner worlds through an alternative art journaling practice.
How it works:
- Register and receive an email with suggested supplies to assemble. We will include links to some of Becca’s favorites, but please select what is most fun and/or cost effective for you.
- Zoom meeting link will be emailed 24 hours before the event
Becca is an illustrator-educator and co-founder of Austin-based female maker collective: Lemon House. She spends most of her time designing adult coloring books, interactive murals, and speaking to organizations about mindfulness, meditation and the benefits of art-making. Clients include Visa, Dell Children’s Hospital, Austin Independent School District, University Hospital- Cleveland, the Austin Downtown Alliance and the Anti-Defamation League.
Becca is most inspired by the invisible connections between all things. Her work aims to be a playful, bright, and hopeful interpretation of the world's whimsical and magical sides. She has fallen in love with her hometown in Austin, where she spends free time exploring nature and hunting for breakfast tacos with her husband and their super-pups Layla and Rose.
ONLINE: Per Person - $45
*IN PERSON: Per Person - $55 early bird (thru 5/30) / $65 regular
Per Pair - $100 early bird (thru 5/30) / $120 regular
*limited spots available w/ proper distancing
- LIVE-STREAM - per person (1)$45$450$0
- IN STUDIO - per person (1)$65$650$0
- IN STUDIO - per pair (2)$120$1200$0